The process of something moving from one location to another in a medium, like air or water, is called diffusion.
Here is a demonstration of diffusion in action.
Ask the students to close their eyes. Spray an air fresheser on air. Ask the students what did they smell? How are they able to smell and guess the scent?
In simple words, in one tiny drop of water there are a lot of water molecule. There are many small things inside called particles. These particles want to spread out and want to move in different direction. Just like you when you are sitting there in your class you don't want to clump together, you want to spread out
In daily life, it happens frequently. You can smell pancakes being cooked in the kitchen all the way upstairs in your bedroom.
Even if you don't shake the water after adding a drop of food coloring, the entire glass will eventually settle on that color.
Diffusion makes all of these possible.
For this experiment We will demonstrate the diffusion of food coloring in water and observe how it’s affected by the difference in temperature.
Find out: Does Liquid food color or dye diffuse faster in hot or cold water?
1. This is a partner activity, each partner will be given 2 glasses of water, one is cold water and hot water, dropper and food color
2. Ask them to predict in which temperature of water will the food color diffuse quickly?
3. Each glasses will be added with food color at the same time.
4. Ask them to look at the glasses and observe.
1. What does colors looked like? How did the food color move and mix in the cold water?
2. What does the color looked like? How did the food color move and mix in the hot water?
Analysis and Explanation:
We observed how food color diffused or spread out in different temperature.
The food color spread out or diffused faster in hot water and slower in cold water.
Food coloring diffuses more quickly in hot water than it does in cold water. This is due to the fact that hot water has molecules that are more energetic and move more quickly than cold water. The blue color can more easily diffuse throughout the hot water as a result.
writer, 554 view(s)
University of Santo Tomas is one tourist spot we should all visit at least once here in Manila
writer, 835 view(s)
revisiting an old authentic chinese restaurant.
writer, 540 view(s)
Ma Mon Luk, An authentic chinese comfort food right in the heart of Quezon City