The following activities are samples of a unit on bears for Kindergarten.Teachers can consider how different methods and materials could be adapted for this topic. Select the most meaningful activities for the children and write lesson plans.
At the end of the unit the children will be able to
- Recognize a bear and sort pictures from other pictures of animals
- Name the bear's head, ears, nose, tail, eyes, and other body parts.
- Identify two locations—a zoo, a forest, or an Arctic region—where bears can be seen.
- recall what happened in the story in order.
- Sort items according to their sizes, small, medium, and large.
- Make five-item sets, then count aloud to five.
- Find the letter "b"
- Keep balance on one foot, for ten seconds.
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- Brown Bear,Brown Bear by Bill Martin
- Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Black
- Narrate a story about a bear.
- Show and tell about their teddy bear
- Act out the story of The Three Bears
- Memory game about the bear's missing parts.
- Matching lowercase and uppercase letters in a letter recognition game
- Arrange The Three Bears pictures in order.
- Say words that start with the letter "b" out loud.
- Sort out objects of things that begin with "b" for Bear's basket.
- Recite bear finger plays and poems
- On the flannel board, arrange things into sets and count them.
- Create a graph with a teddy bear.
- Numbers and match sets
- Bear identification using ordinal position
- Sort items into small, medium, and large categories
- Make a bear pattern
- Compare and contrast teddy bears with real bears.
- Describe the various bear types.
- See images of bear habitats
- Identify the foods that bears eat.
- Play out bear behaviors including fishing, climbing, and roaring.
- Point to your own body parts and the body parts of bears.
- Watch a bear video
SMALL MOTOR SKILLS
- Use play dough to create bears.
- Build bear puzzles
- Bear lace-up playing cards
- Trace around bear stencils
LARGE MOTOR SKILLS
- Follow the bear obstacle course
- Do bear relays
- Play bear hug tag.
- Do bear exercises.
- Play jump the creek
ART and CRAFT
- Make bear puppets from paper sacks or make stick puppets
- Paint bears
- Make paper plate bears
- Sponge paint the shape of a bear
- Make a tissue paper bear
- The Bear went over the mountain
- Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear
- Ten in a Bed
- Play with Goldilocks dock and three sizes of bears
- Dress up clothes and act out "The Three Bears"
- Ants on a Log
- Honey Bear Bread
- Apple Salad
- Peanut Butter Bread Bears